Results-Oriented Family Law Representation

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Child Custody and Visitation
  4.  – Communicating effectively with your co-parent 

Communicating effectively with your co-parent 

On Behalf of | Jul 19, 2022 | Child Custody and Visitation

You and your former spouse took the difficult decision to divorce one another. While this was challenging, it was ultimately the best decision for everyone involved. 

Now, you are onto the next chapter in your lives, but you have children, so will need to remain involved with one another, at least until the kids grow up. The courts have signed off on a custody agreement. This is legally binding, so it’s vital that both parents hold up to their end of the bargain. 

Something you are going to have to get right is your communication methods. It can be tricky to let animosity go, particularly in the immediate aftermath of the separation. However, by keeping these communication tips in mind, you should be able to make it work. 

Communication works both ways 

There are two fundamental aspects to successful communication, talking and listening. It’s vital that you and your ex don’t neglect the latter part of this equation. Frustrations often arise because one party doesn’t feel listened to. 

Choose the right moments 

If an issue does arise, it’s important to identify the appropriate moment to address it. If it is a non-urgent matter, it might not be the best idea to contact your ex when they are at work. Why not wait until you know they are home and relaxed for the rest of the day? 

You shouldn’t be left out 

As parents, you both have custody rights and a say in your child’s upbringing. Neither parent should be left out of any major decisions regarding the child’s welfare unless the court has specifically stated otherwise.  For instance, if your child has been hurt at school and has injured their head, you have a right to know about this. 

With effective communication, you and your ex can make a success of the co-parenting relationship. If you’re having trouble with this, your best option may be to seek legal guidance